Reporting a problem

There are some general principles that apply no matter what type of problem you are reporting to a landlord. As some issues can be upsetting or frustrating we have set out a short list of things to do that may help to get the original problem sorted without having to make a complaint.

What’s the issue?

Whatever the issue, whether a repair, a problem on the estate or building you live in, or a query about a charge you pay, it is always best to contact the right department as soon as possible after the problem or query arises.

Who to contact?

It can sometimes be difficult making sure that you contact the correct person/department. There may be a named housing officer with responsibility for address or individual departments may have a named officer who deals with queries for that department.

Your tenant/leaseholder handbook  should have contact information including email addresses and phone numbers. It should also have the 24 hr contact details for reporting emergency or urgent repairs. This information may also be available on line if you have access to the internet.  If you are unsure who to contact speak to your landlord and explain the situation.  Ask who you should report this to.


Keeping a record of a request for a service is important so emailing or writing a letter to report a problem or make an enquiry is often the best way to contact the landlord. Make sure you keep a copy so that you can refer back to this if necessary.

Sometimes it is more important to let the landlord know of a problem immediately ,for example a burst pipe , in which case a phone call is the most effective way to let the landlord know. Always keep a note of what you said, the date and time and any response the landlord gave .

Whatever the issue you are concerned about remember to give the landlord time to sort it out. Your tenancy agreement or lease, the landlord’s relevant policies and procedure and the tenants’ handbook should all help to clarify what you can expect the landlord to do and when.

For a print friendly version of this factsheet please click here.